Friday, April 28, 2017
Great News! Barrie North has received funding that will allow us to bring the entire school to Springwater Provincial Park during Wellness Week (May 3rd & 4th) for students to experience a variety of things that can contribute to positive overall wellness. We have Barrie North staff leading sessions on things like songwriting, Tai Chi, food and mood, among other things. In addition we are fortunate to have Beausoleil First Nations staff leading a Medicine Walk, Drum Circle and other sessions. A permission form has been sent home and is required back to period 4 teachers by Monday May 1st. You can download the permission form from the website.
- Lunch will be provided (pizza bun & fruit or veg).
- Dress for the weather (light rain, sun screen/hat, bug repellent, etc); we will only postpone if there is significant rain expected. Announcements will be made & the school website will be updated.
- Please bring your own additional snacks.
- Please bring a refillable water bottle.
- Students will be invited to participate in various "wellness sessions". Some are active and some are more cognitive. Please come prepared to explore ways to manage stress, anxiety, social pressures, hectic lifestyles, etc. We can all benefit!
Examples of sessions:
- Selfie-Transformers not Conformers
- Apps for wellness / Food and Mood
- Intro to Tai Chi / Adventure Hike
- Songwriting workshop - bring guitar
- Campfire & the art of rest / Mini Head Sculpture
- The Soothing Sound of Silence / Drumming
- Chill, Chat, Connect / Social Games & activities
Beausoleil First Nations sessions:
- Sweat Lodge intro / Carver / Artist
- Reconciliation Walk / Medicine Walk
- Drum Circle / Firebow